London dining pub The Hero of Maida has opened today. Formerly called The Truscott Arms, the neighbourhood pub in Maida Vale is the third venue to be opened by chef Henry Harris and partner James McCulloch, as part of the Harcourt Inns group.
With a high-ceilinged first floor dining room and a garden, the pub will offer a menu, updated daily, that combines seasonal British ingredients with provincial French cooking. The ground floor features a spacious bar, with leather banquettes lining the walls. Antique mirrors and artworks emphasise the high levels of natural light in the pub.
Original features, such as ceiling roses, have been retained, and are balanced by splashes of colour and an art deco-inspired chandelier. Design is by Liana Braune at The Museum of Everything.
The pub’s name – taken from the now-vanished pub Hero of Maida – honours General John Stuart, who commanded British troops at the Battle of Maida in 1806, defeating French forces in Calabria during the Napoleonic Wars. The area of Maida Vale is named after the battle.
Harcourt Inns is following a strategy of rescuing pubs in noteworthy sites, preserving them as destinations serving quality food in relaxed surroundings. It has already opened The Coach in Clerkenwell and The Three Cranes in The City.